- University of Pavia (UNIPV):
- Universita` della Svizzera Italiana (USI)
- National Neurological Research Institute Mondino
- INFN: Italian National Institute for Nuclear Physics
- IMATI – CNR: Institute for Applied Mathematics and Information Technologies “Enrico Magenes”
Models, mathematics, statistics, data and algorithms are the foundations of our digital world. Computational methods and mathematical analysis are increasingly used for simulation, prediction, data evaluation, analysis, risk assessment, development and optimization, in virtually every field of Science.
The PhD in “Computational Mathematics and Decision Sciences” aims at offering graduate students solid skills in Computational Mathematics, Computational Physics, Scientific Computing, Statistics, Decision Sciences, Optimization, Machine Learning, as well as an interdisciplinary view of Applied Mathematics, Physics and decision processes under uncertainty. The program gives a solid theoretical and computational grounding for high level research in universities, international research institutions and industry.
This international PhD program is organized jointly with the Institute of Computational Sciences (ICS) of the Universita` della Svizzera Italiana (USI). It is also a multidisciplinary PhD program with Faculty from the Departments of Mathematics, Physics, Computer Engineering, Political Sciences of UniPV and the Fondazione Mondino IRCCS, the IMATI-CNR Institute and the National Institute of Nuclear Physics (INFN).
Prospective PhD students with strong mathematical background and a desire for theoretical and applied research in areas of Computational Mathematics and Physics, Scientific Computing, Decision Sciences and Operations Research, Statistics, Optimization, are encouraged to apply.
- Computational Mathematics: theoretical and computational tools for the applied Sciences and Engineering
- Scientific Computing: algorithms for continuous and discrete mathematical models, parallel and distributed computing, numerical simulation
- Numerical Analysis: numerical methods for ordinary and partial differential equations, approximation of data and functions, numerical linear algebra
- Mathematical Analysis and Modeling: ordinary and partial differential equations, functional analysis, variational models and methods, calculus of variations
- Biomathematics: mathematical and numerical modeling in Biology, Physiology and Neurosciences
- Mathematical Physics: kinetic theory, granular media, statistical mechanics, diffusion equations, hyperbolic systems, socio-economic modeling
- Computational Physics: mathematical and computer methods in Elementary Particle and High Energy Physics, Monte Carlo methods, quantum computing
- Biophysics: biophysical models and Monte Carlo methods in Radiotherapy and Hadrotherapy
- Computational Statistics: multivariate Statistics, data analysis, Bayesian Statistics, analytical models for Big Data and Data Sciences
- Decision Sciences: decision models, decision under uncertainty, risk theory, game theory
- Optimization and Operational Research: Optimization methods and algorithms, convex, integer, quadratic, and nonlinear programming, Control Theory
- Machine and Statistical Learning, Deep Learning
- Big Data Analytics, Bio Data Science
The 3-year PhD program is organized into one and a half years of courses and seminars, followed by one and a half years of research activities leading to the doctoral thesis. Multidisciplinary interchange with other graduate programs in the PhD schools of Pavia, USI Lugano and the other participating Institutes and international partners is also encouraged.
Perspective students follow a personalized program by selecting both core and specialized courses in their field of interest and conducting original research under the supervision of a faculty member.
The Faculty of the PhD in “Computational Mathematics and Decision Sciences” includes internationally well-known scholars in the fields of Computational Mathematics, Physics, Statistics and Decision Sciences.
The main career opportunities offered by the PhD in Computational Mathematics and Decision Sciences are careers at universities and at public and private research institutions, both in Italy and abroad; employment in industries to carry out research, modeling, data analysis, etc.; employment with consulting and information technology companies; statistical and financial consulting activities; banks and insurance companies.
XXXIV cycle (2018 – 2021). The PhD program started in October 2018 with 6 PhD students:
- 2 scholarships from the National Grant “Department of Excellence” of the UNIPV Department of Mathematics (see also UNIPV.news),
- 1 scholarship from USI,
- 1 scholarship from the Mondino Institute.
- 1 PhD executive
- 1 research contract
XXXV cycle (2019 – 2022).
- 2 scholarships funded by the Department of Mathematics “F. Casorati”;
- 1 scholarship funded by USI;
- 1 scholarship funded by the Department of Political and Social Sciences (Analytics Solution Center – Assicurazioni Generali funds), to undertake research in “Machine Learning and Deep Learning algorithms for image recognition and classification”;
- 1 scholarship funded by the Department of Political and Social Sciences (Sea Vision S.r.l. funds), to undertake research in “Deep learning for Computer Vision and Industrial Automation”.